GMail in Outlook
If you have a Gmail account, you can use the Windows Mail tool to send and receive your messages. However, setting up Windows Mail in Windows Vista to work with a Gmail account requires a few extra steps.
If you haven't attempted to set up the Gmail account in Windows Mail, you'll want to start at the beginning. If you've already set up an account in Windows Mail and it isn't working, skip ahead to Step 7.
1. Set up your Internet account and open Windows Mail.
If this figure doesn’t appear automatically, open Windows Mail and choose Accounts from the Tools menu. Click the Add button, choose E-Mail Account, and click Next.
Don't forget that you need to have an established Internet account before you can set up an e-mail account.
2. Type your name and click Next.
This name appears in the From box of all your e-mail, so most people simply type their own name.
3. Type your e-mail address and click Next.
Your e-mail address is your username, the @ sign, and your ISP, all information that your ISP must provide you with.
4. Choose POP3 for your server type. Type pop.gmail.com for the incoming mail server and smtp.gmail.com for the outgoing mail servers.
5. Select the box marked Outgoing Server Requires Authentication and click Next.
6. Type your Internet account name and password and click Next. Click Finish.
For your account name, enter the part of your e-mail address before the @ sign. Then type that account’s password.
Check the Remember Password box to fetch your mail automatically in the background.
7. Select the Gmail account you created, choose Properties, and click the Advanced tab.
Choose Accounts from Windows Mail’s Tools menu to see your e-mail account (or accounts).
8. Check the box next to This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL) under Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box and change the Outgoing Mail number to 465.
The Incoming Mail port should change to 995. If it doesn't, change it manually.
9. Click Apply, click OK, and click Close.
If a message asks you to download folders from the mail server, click Yes.
You're done and ready to send and receive e-mail on your GMail account.
© GeeDee for Windows Pty Ltd 1984 - 2018 All rights reserved. Real Estate Software by Real Estate Professionals.
Trust Accounting & Property Management Software with Enterprise Electronic Document Management..